Reynolds Memorial Essay Contest
We are proud to, once again, hold our annual essay contest in honor of an outstanding disability rights advocate, Ernie Reynolds, who passed away in 2012.
We are looking for real, motivating stories about people with disabilities who have successfully overcame barriers and achieved success while advocating for themselves or others.
First Prize: $300
Second Prize: $200
Third Prize: $100
Entries are to be submitted no later than January 10,2020, and will be judged on:
- Content and appeal of the advocacy story
- Impact the story has had on the life of the individual or the lives of other people who have disabilities
- Impact the story has had on the priorities within Michigan Protection & Advocacy Service.
- Entries are limited to 500 words or less and can be submitted in writing or audio tape via regular mail.
- Entries will be judged by the MPAS Essay Contest Committee. All decisions are final.
- Late entries will not be considered.
- Employees of MPAS, volunteers, board members and members of MPAS Advisory Council and their immediate families are not eligible to win.
- All entries become the property of MPAS and will not be returned to the author.
- Entries, in part or in total, may be used by MPAS in publications.
- Actual names will be used ONLY with written permission from the individual. Prizes will be awarded to the person about whom the story is written, and not the author (if different).
Winners will be notified by phone. Winners will also be honored at MPAS’ Board Meeting and Legislative Luncheon held at the Capitol in Lansing in February 2020.
SUBMISSIONS (3 ways to submit entries):
MPAS Essay Contest
4095 Legacy Parkway, Suite 500
Lansing, MI 48911-4263
*Be sure to include your name, address, phone number and email address so we can contact you if you are a winner.
“If I can help just one person, it has been a good day.” -Ernie Reynolds