The governing board for Michigan Protection & Advocacy Service, Inc. (MPAS) is comprised of 12 individuals who are diverse in terms of age, ethnicity, geographical location, gender and disability. A majority of the governing board members must be individuals with disabilities or have an immediate family member with a disability.
By law, the agency implementing the federally mandated protection and advocacy systems must be independent from providers of services to persons with disabilities with the exception of providers of legal advocacy services. Occasionally individuals who have a service provision role may serve on the governing board. In such cases, their potential conflicts of interest must be disclosed.
The board oversees and approves budgetary, priority, and policy issues and generally meets four times a year. The board committees sometimes meet in between board meetings, and often the day of the board meetings.
- John McCulloch, President, Royal Oak
- Hansen Clarke, 1st Vice President, Detroit
- Jane Shank, 2nd Vice President, Interlochen
- Mark Stephenson, Treasurer, Troy
- Paul Palmer, Secretary, Lansing
- Thomas Landry, Immediate Past President, Highland
- Pamela Bellamy, Ph.D., Lansing
- Alethea Brinkerhoff, Bloomfield Hills
- Selena M. Schmidt, Shelby Township
- Mark Wiedelman, Troy
- Melody Arabo, West Bloomfield
- Davin Hemmila, Negaunee
No members at this time